If you or someone you love has suffered injuries due to another party’s negligence, you deserve just compensation. That’s where the Nunley Law Group, PLLC steps in. We regularly represent injury victims throughout St. Clair Shores and Metro Detroit and have an impressive track record of winning substantial settlements and jury verdicts.
When you work with us, our experienced personal injury attorney will handle all the details and guide you through the legal process. Although most claims are settled through negotiations, we prepare each case for trial to achieve the best possible outcome. You can trust us to fight for your rights no matter the circumstances. Contact us today to book a free consultation. Se Habla Español.
Representing Injury Victims in Metro Detroit
Being injured in an accident can have lasting repercussions, from mounting medical bills and lost wages to lasting physical and emotional harm. Working with an accomplished attorney can make all the difference. Our firm has extensive experience handling injury claims involving:
- Car accidents – All motorists in Michigan are legally obligated to drive safely and avoid causing injuries to other drivers, passengers, and pedestrians. Nonetheless, car accidents are typically caused by driver errors, such as distracted driving, speeding, and drunk driving, often leading to severe injuries. Let our capable St. Clair Shores car accident lawyer get you all the compensation you deserve.
- Construction accidents – While construction zones are inherently risky, workers are entitled to a safe work environment. Injured construction workers are typically entitled to workers’ compensation benefits; however, construction accident victims can file claims against negligent third parties (e.g. site owners, contractors, architects, engineers).
- Dog bites – Dog owners in Metro Detroit are liable for any damages if their pet bites a person without provocation, regardless of the dog’s propensity for viciousness or the owner’s knowledge of such viciousness.
- Motorcycle accidents – Contrary to popular belief, most motorcycle accidents result from negligent drivers, not reckless bikers. Our attorneys advocate for motorcyclists’ rights and can help you secure compensation for serious injuries.
- Truck accidents – Commercial trucks and tractor-trailers around Metro Detroit increase the risk of severe truck accidents. Because truck accident claims are more complex than car accident claims, you need a skilled personal injury attorney to protect your rights.
- Slip and fall accidents – Anyone can slip and fall; however, injury victims can recover damages for financial and intangible losses for falls caused by slippery surfaces, broken steps, loose handrails, poor lighting, and other hazards that are the result of property owner negligence.
- Pedestrian accidents – Although pedestrians must exercise caution, they have the right of way. Distracted and negligent drivers often cause pedestrian accidents, leading to severe injuries.
- Premises liability – All property owners in Metro Detroit have a responsibility to provide visitors with a safe environment and can be held accountable for injuries resulting from slips and falls, dog bites, or negligent security.
- Product liability – Manufacturers and distributors must provide safe products to consumers and can be held strictly liable for injuries caused by defective or dangerous items. Our firm is experienced in product liability lawsuits and works to help clients secure fair compensation.
- Wrongful death – Losing a loved one due to another’s negligence is heartbreaking and tragic. A wrongful death lawsuit can help surviving family members obtain compensation for expenses and losses, providing financial relief and a sense of justice.
How Much Is My Injury Claim Worth?
No two personal injury cases are the same; a lot depends on the nature of the accident, the severity of your injuries, and the extent of your liability. In any event, we will fight to help you win economic and non-economic damages such as:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative costs
- Lost wages – present and future
- Pain and suffering
- Permanent disability/disfigurement
- Emotional distress
- Replacement services
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
Punitive damages may also be available if the defendant’s conduct was egregious or illegal, for example, drunk driving. Notably, Michigan follows the rules of comparative fault in negligence claims. This means you can still recover economic damages if you were partially at fault for the accident; however, you cannot recover non-economic damages if you were greater than 50 percent responsible. Don’t worry. Our attorneys know how to limit your liability and will fight for the maximum compensation you deserve.
What is the statute of limitations for personal injury in Michigan?
The statute of limitations for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Michigan is three years from the date of injury or when it reasonably should have been discovered.
For injuries to minors under age 18, the three-year clock does not begin ticking until the child’s 18th birthday.
Certain very serious injuries, such as ones causing permanent disability or impairment, have a longer limitation period of five years.
It is important to act promptly to preserve your claim and avoid having it time-barred. An attorney can advise you on the applicable statute of limitations for your specific type of injury case.
How do I file a personal injury lawsuit in Michigan?
The basic steps to filing a personal injury lawsuit in Michigan include:
- Consulting with and retaining an experienced personal injury attorney.
- Working with your attorney to compile medical records, accident reports, evidence of financial damages, and all documentation supporting your case.
- Your attorney will draft and file a complaint or lawsuit with the court outlining your allegations and demanding relief against the defendant.
- Your attorney will hire process servers to legally notify the defendant of the lawsuit against them.
- The litigation process of fact discovery, depositions, negotiations, and trial preparation begins.
- Either a settlement is reached or the case proceeds to trial where a judge or jury decides the outcome.
An attorney handles all the complex aspects of building a persuasive case and navigating trial rules and procedures.
How do I prepare for a personal injury claim?
Tips for preparing a strong personal injury claim include:
- Seeking prompt medical treatment and following all doctors’ recommendations. Document all diagnoses, treatments, medications, limitations etc.
- Reporting the injury accident to appropriate parties like the police and your insurer. Get any reports.
- Photographing injuries, property damage, and accident scenes to preserve evidence.
- Collecting contact info for witnesses who can provide statements later.
- Keeping records of all losses and expenses like medical bills, lost income, property damage estimates, etc.
- Avoid signing any documents or accepting a settlement before consulting an attorney.
- Gathering all applicable insurance policies, coverages, claims procedures, etc.
- Writing down as many details about the accident as possible while still fresh.
Thorough documentation and record-keeping strengthen a claim and build maximum leverage for negotiations.
Why The Nunley Law Group?
Our practice is dedicated to protecting the rights of injury victims through negotiation and litigation. Lead attorney Royce A. Nunley is well-versed in the applicable negligence and insurance laws, fluent in Spanish, and represents clients from all walks of life, including the underserved Latino community in Metro Detroit. Royce is a widely respected attorney and a compassionate person who provides each client with personalized attention and efficient service.
Regardless of the incident that caused your injury, you can depend on our legal team to protect your rights and interests. Above all, we will provide you with powerful representation in and out of the courtroom. We return all calls promptly, will keep you updated about the progress of our case, and are always available to respond to your questions and concerns. Because we understand your physical, emotional, and financial burdens, your initial consultation will be free, and you pay nothing to us until we recover for you.
Talk To An Experienced St. Clair Shores Personal Injury Attorney Today!
If you have been seriously injured in an accident, the Nunley Law Group is here to help. Contact us today so we can start working on your claim.