top of page
Personal Injury - Nunley Law Group.jpg

Personal Injury

Do I Have A Case?

When To Call An Attorney After An Accident

You’ve just been injured in a car accident. Aside from the pain, you are wondering what you need to do to make sure that you are compensated for your injuries. Many auto accidents can result in injuries that are costly to address medically and will take time to heal. You may miss work as a result of your car accident lawsuit. You need to know what to do next.


At The Nunley Law Group, we help people like you with your car accident lawsuit. Our team of car accident lawyers has been assisting people in Michigan who have been injured in automobile collisions to get a car accident insurance settlement that will take care of their medical expenses, pain and suffering, lost wages, and other damages that were a result of the collision. 


What should you do after the accident?

The most important thing to do after a car accident is to seek immediate medical care. Let’s face it, your health is of paramount importance. Furthermore, you don’t want to delay for a number of reasons. First, you may have an injury that you may not be aware of, such as internal bleeding. A paramedic or other medical professional can spot such latent injuries so that you can get proper care. Second, any delay could result in a claim being denied because of issues of causality. If you sue the person who caused the accident, they can always claim that your injuries are the result of a subsequent event that occurred after the car accident. Finally, you will need to have medical records to document your physical injuries. Seeking immediate medical care will begin the process of building medical records for your case.


You should also try to get information about the drivers involved in the accident. This includes copies of their drivers’ licenses, insurance cards, and pictures of the accident scene. If you are capable of communicating with others, you can get information from witnesses who may have observed the crash. These eyewitnesses will be useful if you decide to bring a car accident lawsuit.


When should I call an attorney?

Michigan has a three-year statute of limitations for car accident lawsuits. This means that if you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you will need to file the lawsuit on or before the third anniversary of the collision. However, if your case involves an insurance claim, you have only one year after the accident in which to file the claim under the no-fault insurance system. Therefore, you should call a car accident attorney as soon as possible after the accident to evaluate your claim. This will entail reviewing your medical records, interviewing eyewitnesses, checking the police report for the accident if one was created, and assessing the insurance coverage of the drivers involved.


There is another reason why you do not want to delay in contacting an attorney. Putting together the paperwork for the lawsuit takes time and involves a great deal of evidence. You want to give your lawyer as much time as possible so that he or she can be as prepared as possible for your case. 


How much should I get for my car accident?

There is no set amount for damages in car accidents. Michigan is fairly broad in allowing compensation for different types of damages, such as pain and suffering, mental anguish, and permanent scars and disfigurement. If you get a car accident insurance settlement from the driver’s insurance carrier, the amount will be up to the claims adjuster. If your case goes to trial, the jury will determine the damage amount.


Michigan is a no-fault state. This means that the insurance company compensates such things as all of your reasonable medical bills, 85% of your lost income, and other economic out-of-pocket expenses, regardless of who is at fault. However, if you are the driver who caused the accident, then you cannot sue for non-economic damages like pain and suffering, and loss of enjoyment of life. In addition, Michigan uses a comparative negligence standard. This means that it looks at all of the factors and, if your conduct contributed to the accident, then your damage amount for things other than those covered by No Fault will be reduced by the percentage of your culpability.


Call us today if you are injured in a car accident

As you can see, you need to act quickly after a car accident to make sure that you get the compensation you deserve. Call us today at The Nunley Law Group so we can begin assessing your case. We offer free consultations and have Spanish-speaking attorneys to assist you.

bottom of page